Moulded from Quilon and Kottayam districts, on 17th August, 1957, the district of Alappuzha (Alleppey) was formed .
It initially had 7 taluks, namely Ambalappuzha, Cherthala, Thiruvalla, Chengannur, Kuttanad, Mavelikkara and Karthikappally.
The present Alappuzha district comprises of six taluks namely Cherthala, Karthikappally,Ambalappuzha, Chengannur, Mavelikkara and Kuttanad.The district head quarters is located at Alappuzha. Total area of this district is 1414 sq. kms.
The name Alappuzha is derived from the geographical position and physical features of the place. It means the land between the sea and rivers. The district is bounded on the north by Kanayannur and Kochi taluks of Ernakulam district, on the east by Kottayam, Vaikom and Changanassery taluks of Kottayam district and Kozhencherry , Thiruvalla and Adoor taluks of Pathanamthitta district, on the South by Karunagappally and Kunnathur taluks of Kollam district and on the west by Lakshadweep sea.
Information regarding alappuzha
District Name : ALAPPUZHA (ALLEPPEY)
State : KERALA
Country : INDIA
North Latitudes : 9o 05′ & 9o 54′
East Longitudes : 76o 17′ 30″& 76o 40′.
Modern Alappuzha’s Architect : RAJA KESAVA DAS [ 1745-1799 ]